Collector’s Showcase

Posted on

Thank you to everyone who participated in the Collector’s Showcase last month! We had another great lineup of collections! Thank you also to the Historical Society of Greater Lansing who helped promote the event.

Collector’s Showcase

Posted on Updated on

WHEN

Saturday, March 18, 2017, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.

WHERE

Elmwood Room of the Delta Township District Library, 5130 Davenport Drive, Lansing, MI 48917

ABOUT

Collectors willing to display their collections and talk to the public about their passion are needed for this just-for-fun, no buying or selling event. Collections at past events have included both antique and contemporary collectibles, such as Pez dispensers, vintage hats, postcards, dolls, Dionne quintuplet memorabilia, Lansing dairy items, and salt and pepper shakers. All collections suitable for family viewing are welcome. One collection will receive the People’s Choice Award, chosen by visitors the day of the event.

Whether you are an avid enthusiast, serious treasure hunter or casual collector everyone has some type of collection they hold dear. Come and celebrate local collectors of all kinds at this joint DTHS, Delta Township District Library, and Historical Society of Greater Lansing event. Check out all the different types of collections and chat with the collectors.

Fill out the form below to register your collection.

To view entries from past years click here: 2015 | 2016

PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD

A People’s Choice Award for the “best” collection will be awarded at 1:30pm. Come check out all of the collections and vote for your favorite.

RULES & REGISTRATION

Deadline to register to display your collection is Saturday, March 11, limited space is available. All ages are welcome to participate.

RULES

1. Each collector will be given up to two tables approx. 2.5’x5’.

2. There will be no buying or selling of items at the event.

3. All collections should be appropriate for viewing by all ages.

4. Organizers will select the best mix of the entrants and selected collectors will be notified on Monday, March, 13.

5. The Delta Township District Library and its partners (Delta Township Historical Society and Historical Society of Greater Lansing) will not be held responsible for any lost, stolen or damaged items.

REGISTRATION

To register your collection for the event, complete the Registration Form on this page or download the form and return it to the Adult Services Desk.

Historic Photo Sharing Night

Posted on Updated on

 

The library and historical society will be scanning old photos of Delta Township. Bring your photos and stories of Delta Township’s past and see and help identify some of the pictures from the library’s collection. We will have a scanner on site if you would like to share your photos with the historical society.

Delta Center Cemetery

Posted on Updated on

The cannon monument located at the Delta Center Cemetery was presented in memory of the 83 civil war soldiers by the women of the Delta Center Cemetery association. Among the soldiers are six whom were prisoners at the Confederate Prison of War camp near Andersonville, GA, including: William R. Billings, Otis Wilson Carpenter, Albert F. Porter, Elija P. Sanders, Nathaniel H. Space, William H. H. Tallman. [2]

The Lansing State Journal reported on Monday, May 29, 2011 that:

“Nearly 300 men, women and children assembled at the Delta Center Cemetery Saturday [May 27, 2011] forenoon at 10 o’clock to witness the unveiling of the soldiers monument presented by the women of the Delta Center Cemetery association in memory of the soldiers who went from Delta to participate in the civil war” [1].

Join historian and author of Guide to the Civil War Soldiers of Delta Center Cemetery, Chris Czopek, on Wednesday, September 21 at 6 p.m. for a tour of the Delta Center Cemetery and to hear the stories of the Civil War soldiers buried there. Or visit the Local History Room at the Delta Township District Library to read through Mr. Czopek’s book.

Source:

Czopek, C. (2007). Guide to the Civil War soldiers of Delta Center Cemetery. Lansing, MI: C.P. Czopek.

Nearly 300 Are At Dedication. (1911, May 29). Lansing State Journal.

Early Postmasters of Delta Township

Posted on Updated on

The Delta Post Office was established on September 6th, 1842, and the first postmaster was named Whitney Jones. The Delta post office continued operation until November 15th, 1910, with the exception of 2 and a half months in 1865, when the post was temporarily discontinued (September 16th-November 4th).

The 22nd and last postmaster in Delta Mills was Waterman Lazell who was appointed in 1899. It was said that “No resident of the Township is held in higher regard (6).” In November of 1910 the Delta Post Office was decommissioned. From that point on mail was sent to Lansing and delivered via the Rural Free Delivery (RFD) service, which delivered mail directly to rural farm families.

In October 13, 1873 a second Post Office was opened near Delta Mills in Clinton County in the community of Ingersoll (also referred to as Daniel’s Station) (5). Ingersoll was located northwest of Delta Mills along the railroad in the southern part of Watertown Township. A railroad station was also constructed and the neighborhood contained several homes. The first postmaster was Barthold Wagner. The office was decommissioned on July 15th, 1901, and mail was sent to Delta.

Another post office was established on May 14, 1877 in Millet (or Millets or Millet’s Station), “a small hamlet in the southeast part of town containing a saw mill or oar factory a post office and a few dwellings. A village plot was laid out here Dec 3 1874 by Silas E Millett and others. It is on the line of the Chicago and Grand Trunk Railway. Trains stop only on signal (7).” Mail messenger service discontinued on July 30, 1910 (1).

Delta Postmasters (1842-1880)

Delta Post Office Established September 6, 1842

  • Whitney Jones; commissioned: September 6, 1842
  • Remember Baker; commissioned: April 1, 1847
  • Orange Butler; commissioned: June 22, 1848
  • Truman Ingersoll; commissioned: May 22, 1850
  • Jason Nichols; commissioned: August 15, 1853
  • Egbert Ingersoll; commissioned: May 24, 1854
  • Daniel A. Spicer; commissioned: February 26, 1858
  • Joseph Woodruff; commissioned: April 22, 1861
  • Postal Service Discontinued: September 16, 1865
  • Postal Service Re-established: November 4, 1865
  • Theodore Butcher; commissioned: November 4, 1865
  • Rauselo G. Burlingame; commissioned: August 28, 1866
  • Elias B. Oakley; commissioned: January 15, 1867
  • Harvey Grattan; commissioned: May 8, 1871

US Postal Bulletins Updates for Delta (1880-1910):

  • March 26, 1880 – Postmaster Commissioned:
    • Elihu D. Tallman; March 26 1880
  • October 14, 1881 – Postmaster Commissioned:
    • Budd L. Tallman; October 13, 1881
  • March 21, 1883 – Change in Star Schedule:
    • Route 2426(5. Waconstra [Wacousta?] to Delta. Leave Waconsta [Wacousta?] daily except Sundays in time to connect with mail by R. R. at Delta. Return same day, running time each way not to exceed two hours. From March 26, 1883
  • November 27, 1882 – Postmaster Commissioned (Not Confirmed in Postal Bulletins):
    • Charles W. Hildreth
  • October 7, 1885 – Postmaster Commissioned (4th Class Office):
    • Jennie Hildreth; October 7, 1885
  • June 15, 1886 – Star Service Changes:
    • “Route 24452. Waconsta [Wacousta?] to Delta. From July 1, 1886, change service to embrace and end at Grand Ledge, omitting Delta without change in distance. [9 june 86.”
  • September 29, 1889 – Postmaster Commissioned (4th Class Office):
    • Jennie M. Spangler; September 21, 1889
  • March 17,1891 – Postmaster Commissioned (4th Class Office):
    • Chas. H. Mauzer; April 1, 1891
  • June 24, 1892 – Postmaster Commissioned (4th Class Office):
    • Nelson J. Streeter; June 21, 1892
  • August 15, 1894 – Postmaster Commissioned (4th Class, Not Money Order, Office):
    • Dora L. Northrup; August 13, 1894
  • May 27, 1895 – Postmaster Commissioned (4th Class, Not Money Order, Office):
    • Frank Crouch; May 25, 1895
  • July 1, 1899 – Postmaster Commissioned (4th Class, Not Money Order, Office):
    • Waterman Lazell; June 30, 1899
  • October 18, 1910 – Superseded by rural delivery:
    • Effective Nov 15, 1910: mail to Lansing

US Postal Bulletin Updates for Ingersoll (1880-1901):

  • April 5, 1880 – Postmaster Commissioned:
    • Ella F. Rose; April 3, 1880
  • July 5, 1882 – Mail Messenger Service Established:
    • “Ingersoll, Clinton Co., from Flag Station, often as required.”
  • October 3, 1895 – Mail Messenger Service Discontinued:
    • “Route 237098. Ingersoll, Clinton Co., from Detroit, Lansing & Northern R. R. Route 137O17. From October 5, 1895. [2 oct 9″
  • June 28, 1901 – Post Office Discontinued:
    • Effective July 15, 1901: “Ingersoll. Clinton Co., 137017. Mail to Delta. [27 June 01″

US Postal Bulletin Updates for Millett (1880-1910):

  • June 17, 1880 – Route Service Change:
    • “Route 24039. Port Huron to Chicago. From July 11880, service by Chicago and Grand Trunk Railway Co., from Port Huron by Thornton, Goodells, Emmett, Capac, Imlay City, Attica, Lapeer, Elba, Davison Station, Flint, Dawson (n. o.), Swartz Creek, Durand, Baneroft, Morrioe, Perry, Shaftsburgh, Pine Lake, Lansing, Millett, West Windsor, Potterville, Charlotte, Olivet, Bellevue, Battle Creek, Climax, Scotts, Pavilion, Vicksburgh, Marcellus, Wakelee, Penn, Cassopolis, Edwardsburgh, Granger, Mishawaka, South Bend, Crums Point, Mile Creek, Stilwell, Kingsburry, Wellsborough, Union Mills, Haskells, Valparaiso, Sedlez (n. o.), Ainsworth (n. o.), Redesdale (n. o.), Maynard (n. o.), South Lawn (n. o.), Blue Island, Morgan Park (n. o.), Sherman (n. o.) Glendale (n. o.), and Carwith (n. o.) to Chicago, 111., 333 ms. and back, 6 times a week, or as much oftener as trains may run. This service covers Routes 24025 and 24038, which are discontinued from July 1,1880, and also the new line of road bet. Valparaiso and Chicago.”
  • May 4, 1883 – Postmaster Commissioned:
    • Charles R. Parmelee; May 1, 1863
  • May 2, 1887 – Postmaster Commissioned (4th Class, Not Money Order, Office):
    • John Crane; April 30, 1887
  • March 20, 1888 – Mail Messenger Service Established:
    • Millett, Eaton Co., from Chicago & Grand Trunk R.R. Route 24039, 84 1/2 rods. often as required. From March 13, 1888.
  • January 8, 1901 – Postmaster Commissioned (4th Class, Not Money Order, Office):
    • Wm. H. Crane; January 7, 1901
  • January 25, 1906 – Post Office Discontinued:
    • “The following offices will be discontinued and superseded by R. D. [Rural Delivery]”
    • Effective Feb 14, 1906: Millett, Eaton Co., Mail to Lansing.
  • January 29, 1906 – Mail Messenger Service Discontinued:
    • Effective February 14, 1906: Millett, Eaton Co.
  • February 10, 1906 – Post Offices Established:
    • “Millett, Eaton Co. The order of Jan. 24, 1906 (Bull. 7896). discontinuing this office, has been rescinded. [10 feb 06”
  • February 13, 1906 – Mail Messenger Service Discontinued:
    • “Millett, Eaton Co , from 137039. Rescind order of Jan. 26, 1906 (Bull. 7899), discontinuing service. [12 feb 06”
  • July 30, 1910 – Mail Messenger Service Discontinued:
    • Effective: July 30, 1910

For additional information about mail delivery in the U.S. see The United States Postal Service: An American History 1775-2006.

Additional Note: Silas E. Millet was also the first postmaster of a rural post office in Eaton County identified as Camp Creek. The post office operated from May 14, 1856 until February 21, 1862 (10).  Using records available online it is not possible to determine the exact location of the Camp Creek Post Office in Eaton County. Most likely it was not in Delta Township. Silas Millett was living in Eaton Township in 1845, then Carmel Township in 1850. Probably in the areas surrounding Charlotte. By 1865 he had already relocated to Delta Township. Other than his appointment to the Camp Creek Post Office no record has been located identifying his residence between 1850 and 1865. Henry Weyard was appointed as the Camp Creek Post Office Postmaster in 1859.

Sources:

  1. “US Postal Bulletins.” US Postal Bulletins. Web. 30 May 2016.: <http://www.uspostalbulletins.com/pdfsearch.aspx?pid=1&Group=48&id=48>
  2. Delta Post Office Closure Notice: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7869RP5pWqya1hYd19ObUF4bjg/view?usp=drivesdk
  3. KING, James W. Manual, Containing the Rules of the Senate & House of Representatives of the State of Michigan, with the Joint Rules of the Two Houses, Etc. Lansing, 1875. Google Books. Web. 31 May 2016. <https://books.google.com/books?id=iJcLAQAAIAAJ&pg=PR1#v=onepage&q&f=false>. p. 200
  4. “Rural Free Delivery.” Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation. Web. 31 May 2016. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rural_Free_Delivery>.
  5. Ceasar, Ford Stevens. Forgotten Communities of Central Michigan. Place of Publication Not Identified: Ceasar, 1978. Print. p. 30
  6. The past and Present of Eaton County, Michigan Historically Together with Biographical Sketches of Its Leading and Prominent Citizens and Illustrious Dead. Lansing. Web. 31 May 2016. p. 414-416
  7. Durant, Samuel W. History of Ingham and Eaton Counties, Michigan with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Their Prominent Men and Pioneers. Philadelphia: D.W. Ensign, 1880. Archive.org. Web. 31 May 2016. <https://archive.org/details/cu31924028870322>. p. 454
  8. “Galbraith’s Railway Mail Service Maps, Michigan.” The Library of Congress. Web. 31 May 2016. <https://www.loc.gov/item/98688500/>.
  9. Standard atlas of Clinton County, Michigan : including a plat book of the villages, cities and townships of the county…farmers directory, reference business directory… / compiled and published by Geo. A. Ogle & Co.
    Geo. A. Ogle & Co. Chicago: Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1896. <http://name.umdl.umich.edu/2911305.0001.001>
  10. Romig, Walter. Michigan Place Names: The History of the Founding and the Naming of More than Five Thousand past and Present Michigan Communities. Grosse Pointe, MI: Walter Romig, 1973. Web. 31 May 2016. <https://books.google.com/books?id=Y-FPXEGRo-YC&lpg=PA95&ots=1y0dfN9U92&dq=silas e millett&pg=PA95#v=onepage&q=silas e millett&f=false>. p. 95

 

First Marriage in Delta Township

Posted on

The first marriage in Delta Township occurred in the summer of 1838 between Addison Hayden and Mary Chadwick. A brief notice was printed in the Grand River City Courier the following day: “Married – At Grand River City by Samuel Preston Esq at the house of the bride’s father Mr Addison Hayden and Miss Mary Chadwick both of Grand River City (3)”

In her recollections to the Pioneer Society of Michigan, Mrs. Ingersoll shared the following story:

“An incident occurred in connection with this event which is worth preserving and is related by the wife of Esquire Preston as follows, “Mr Hayden called and inquired for the Squire I told him he was gone to Mr Nichols. By and by he came home and told me that Mr. Hayden wanted him to marry him. ‘Well,’ I said, ‘you can’t go for your clothes are too ragged.’ But the boys came to the rescue and brought out their clothes and Mr Preston tried them on. One could supply a coat another pants another a vest and the outfit was complete excepting a hat Jason was a pretty spruce young man and had a fur hat which he kindly loaned. This put on the finishing touch On his way to the house Mr Preston thought of a second dilemma worse than the first. He was not a praying man and how could he perform the marriage ceremony without prayer. After a while he hit upon a plan he would invite ES Ingersoll to assist in the services. All passed off pleasantly no one suspecting the perplexities the justice had labored under (1).”

Addison Hayden was born c.1796 in Connecticut was head mechanic at the mill at the time of the marriage. He went on to become the Eaton County Surveyor from 1842-44, 1850-52, 1854-55 and then the Township supervisor from 1846-52 and 1854-55. He left the Township in 1856 to become the Supervisor of North Star Township from 1856-58 followed by the Gratiot County Surveyor from 1857-58 (2).

Mary and Addison Hayden had 10 children. Addison past away in 1872 and Mary followed in 1874.

Sources:

  1. History of Ingham and Eaton Counties by Samuel w. Durant, https://books.google.com/books?id=eoz2jflPnDMC&dq=history%20of%20ingham%20and%20eaton%20counties&pg=PA453#v=onepage&q=delta&f=false
  2. http://politicalgraveyard.com/bio/hayakawa-haydon.html#120.97.98
  3. http://www.forgottenbooks.com/readbook_text/Michigan_Historical_Collections_v1_1000695290/169

 

 

Delta Mills Bridge

Posted on Updated on


The steel span bridge with wood floor spanning the Grand River along Webster Road was built in either 1891 or 1892. The wooden floor was re-planked in 1898. Eventually a concrete floor was installed and the steel structure was finally torn down in July 1965 followed by the pouring of new concrete supports. Then, according to The State Journal (9/1/1966), “the project was delayed for a year when federal funds were held up pending passage of a Michigan expressway billboard law complying with federal regulations.”

Work resumed on the current structure in August 1966 and work was expected to be completed by November of 1966. The current structure is made up of concrete supports, topped with 58 25-ton concrete beams each spanning more than 70 feet. The beams were lifted into place with a crane operating on the river bed which was built up into a mud flat for the construction. 

During the construction, work was also completed to move “W. Willow Highway slightly to the south, eliminating the T-intersection at the south end of the bridge (TSJ, 9/1/66).” This work cleared space for the eventual construction of the canoe launch at Delta Mills Park.  

Earlier bridges had spanned the Grand River prior to construction of the Steel span bridge in the 1890’s. A motion was passed during the first Township meeting on April 4, 1842 to “raise $100 for roads and bridges, and that first the bridge debt be liquidated and the balance appropriated by the highway commissioners (1).” In October of 1857 the Township Board authorized “the township of Delta to raise by tax a sum not exceeding $1000 to build a bridge across Grand River in said township at or near the quarter line of section 3.” Then in January of 1859 Delta Township resident, Alonzo Baker, was authorized, “to build a dam across Grand River on the northwest quarter of section 5 in Delta (1).”

Bibliography:

  1. Durant, Samuel W. History of Ingham and Eaton Counties, Michigan with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Their Prominent Men and Pioneers. Philadelphia: D.W. Ensign, 1880. Archive.org. Web. 31 May 2016. <https://archive.org/details/cu31924028870322&gt;. p. 454

Have more to add? Or pictures of the bridge? Share them in the comments or email Tom Moore (tmoore@dtdl.org).